Thursday, November 12, 2009

1974 Vespa Super bought for $500





I picked this up in Greenfield, Ohio for $500 in a private museum. This guy had an ad on craigslist advertising a few cushmans for sale so I called and asked if he had any Vespas. He said yes but he wasn't sure how many. My buddy Bob and I decided to drive up and see what he had. It was about an hour and 45 minute drive from Cincinnati. Bob drove me up in his truck. It was a great day for some Vespa hunting. We pulled up to a store front in a one block town and sitting in-between a carpet store and a Chinese restaraunt was what looked to be a small empty store front with the shades drawn. We were wrong. This guy had a collection of probably 30 or so old cars that were perfectly restored. Turns out he had some scooters too. We found he had a Sprint in pretty rough condition, a 1974 Vespa Super, a Ducati Brio that I almost bought but passed on to a friend. He also had 2 or 3 of those Puch-Daimler Allstate scooters. The 1974 Vespa Super which was pretty much perfect except for the seized motor. It was complete except for a turn signal and only had minor surface rust. It was exactly what I was looking for and I figured with a little work I could probably get it running. Well I kept spraying PB Blaster in the jug and tapping on it for a few weeks but I couldn't get the damn thing unstuck so I eventually sold it about 3 weeks ago to a Vespa mechanic in Columbus, Ohio. I kind of regret selling it but I'll find one better soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment