Friday, November 13, 2009

Quest for the Rally 200 for $100






Okay, so this is in my opinion a pretty good story i thought I'd share. 3 weeks ago A friend of mine was looking for a Rally 200 and I happened to find one that was in near mint condition. A 1974 Rally 200. It was in completely original condition with no rust and some cool period accessories. It was coming up for auction nearby so I decided to make the 2 hour drive out to the sticks for a friend. I got to the auction and was not disapointed it looked just as good in person as it did in the pictures. I arrived about an hour early and boy was I glad I did! As I was checking out the scooter and dissuading the locals from bidding on it an older gentleman struck up a conversation with me. He said, "I got one of those in my garage, Rally 200, yup that's what it says on the back." I without trying to sound too excited asked him if it was for sale? He said, Yeah, I'll take a hundred bucks for it." I promptly got his phone number and told him I'd call him as soon as the auction was over. He said he'd be at home all day and he only lived a few blocks away! About 3 hours later they got to auctioning the Rally 200. I went up to $1000 but it ended up selling for $1,350 when it was all said and done. I immediately called John and went to check out his Rally 200. I got there and he opened his garage and there it was! It wasn't as nice but for $100 who could complain? It was even the same year as the one for auction a 1974 Rally 200 and all there except for the engine shroud, a few turn signals! On top of that he had a 1959 Jawa Cezeta which I picked up for a friend last week. But no it doesn't end there! He also had a nice running but rough looking Vespa Sprint, A Lambretta Cento that was in excellent condition, and also a Vespa 90 that I will be picking up soon. Later that day Scooter Source near Dayton, Ohio was having a grand re-opening event at their new location. As I pulled in with my Rally 200 in the back of my van I see a truck with the Rally 200 in the back that was up for auction earlier in the day. Pretty cool, huh? Here's some photos of the Rally that sold at auction and the Rally I picked up and sold to my pal. Even though I really wanted to keep it for myself I told him I'd get him a Rally and even though it wasn't the one he thought it was gonna be I still think he was happy.



2 comments:

  1. Cool story. Honestly, though, it's my opinion that the auction bike was a better deal at 1350 than the beat one was for $100.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe. The new owner of the Rally I bought will end up restoring it back to it's original glory.

    ReplyDelete